Saturday, July 16, 2011

Top 10 Acts Lollapalooza 2011

Lollapalooza is the music fan's ultimate weekend festival. Being from Chicago, its very accessible and conveniently in Grant Park. To all those who can't make it or just want to know what the best acts this year will be, I got you covered. :D

Photo by: Fuzzy Gerdes

10. Tinie Tempah, British rapper who broke through the charts with his smash hit "Written in the Stars" with Eric Stone. Also has a great song with Kelly Rowland called "Invincible"

9. The Cool Kids, Hip-Hop duo, Mikey Rocks and Chuck Inglish rock the mic everywhere they go. Their party music gets everyone pumped up and ready to party their life away. They certainly do live up their name. They have a wide array of songs that will be stuck in your head. Basement Party being my favorite.

8. Patrick Stump is the former lead vocalist of the now disbanded Chicago rock group Fall Out Boy. Fall Out Boy has always been one of my favorite bands. I haven't followed Patrick's solo career but Fall Out Boy wouldn't be so awesome if it weren't for his voice. Check him out and let me know what you think about him.

7. Skylar Grey is one of my favorite voices i've heard on the radio lately. She has a soft voice that still is powerful. She has sung on the chorus for the Dr. Dre & fellow Lollapalooza artist Eminem's song "I Need a Doctor" and Diddy-Dirty Money's "Coming Home" song. She should be amazing up on stage.

6. Cee Lo Green made the most original song I have heard in a long time. "Forget You" is more straightforward on the unedited  version but you also get the picture in the clean version. His music isn't hip hop but you would swear the man is a rapper. He also made the classic song for the ages "Crazy" under the moniker Gnarls Barkley. Great performer. Expect the greatest spectacle from him, should I remind you about his Grammy's performance?

5. Kids These Days in my opinion is the best band to play "Lolla" but the namesake of the band is going to keep them at the bottom of my top 5. As i said in a previous post, KTD has a unique sound that avid fans of the palooza will just fall in love with. Don't be surprised if they someday headline the festival.

4. Coldplay is one of my favorite music groups. All that they have accomplished since their humble "Yellow" beginnings. I think ever since Viva La Vida they have been the most influential band in my iPod. Chris Martin continues to be one of my favorite voices.

3. Deadmau5 is a electro artist/DJ who I discovered at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards. His signature mouse helmet is awesome. His music is vibrant and empowering. You will find it impossible to not fist pump to all his electric chords and digital drums. Some songs I hope he performs are "Raise Your Weapon", "Some Chords", "Ghosts n Stuff" and "A City in Florida." This guy will have you hooked on electro music after you listen to him live.

2. With all due respect to Eminem, he is second on my list of performers at Lolla. His career accomplishments certainly outweigh his current music but Kid Cudi is more current at the time. There is no way of denying the greatness of Eminem's music. No matter what music you listen to, Eminem has to be in at least one spot in your iPod. Whether you enjoy his comic efforts or his serious music, Eminem is the best to ever rap. Point Blank.

1. Last but not least, KID CUDI is my favorite act of the festival. Ever since I first heard "Day N Nite" I fell into deep admiration for the music Scott Mescudi makes. He is a rapper but he isn't the typical gangster kind of style like many others. Cudi makes music that speaks to that lonely kid you always see sitting by themselves. He speaks about things that people can actually relate to instead of flashy cars and partying the night away. Expect him to rock the crowd. The Man on the Moon has landed himself on the top spot of Lollapalooza acts for 2011.

Notable acts that didn't make the cut for my list: Muse, Foo Fighters, Damian Marley & Nas, Bright Lights, Collie Budz, Arctic Monkey, Ryan Leslie, and Sam Adams.
For complete line ups and information about Lollapalooza, just click on the highlighted links.

No comments:

Post a Comment